Monday, October 27, 2008

There's got to be a rainbow somewhere.....

For the last couple of days, I've told myself to remember stuff so that I could blog it. Tonight I don't really want to journal it but feel like I should.
MONDAY the 20th
As a whole really not a bad day. I got some stuff done, and went to class to memorize muscles. Yeah!! I came home to news about Jeff and his job. Not very good news.
TUESDAY the 21st
Went to Dylans IEP (Individual Education Plan) at his school. I LOATHE IEP meetings. They always seem so negative to me. 'Here is what your son is doing wrong. Here is how far behind he is. His behaviors are getting to be out of control. We don't know what else we can do to help him.' Why would anyone look forward to that. I'm a little frustrated with the school because I can't get a straight answer. If I wanted to know if they think his aides are good, of course they are going to tell me its all good. They are not going to want to say that they hired bad people for Dylan. Also, his classroom teacher admitted to me that she still hasn't read his IEP. I mean its almost November. What the rush!?!AUGH!!!!!
Then I get to go to work. Not a bad night.....
WEDNESDAY the 22nd
Take a quick nap then off and running. Skills day at noon to experience 2 hours of drudgery and lecture. 'You're not doing this right. Don't forget to do this and order this. Here are your statistics with this and this, not good enough. Do more, do better, work faster.....' Why would anyone look forward to that, especially after working the night before. Run home, try to get in one more nap before leaving for class at 5 PM. After class, go to work. Work Wed. night....not so much fun. We delivered three babes within 10 minutes, admitted an induction and had 2 outpatients. One of which was 26 wks. and 4 cm. So we shipped her. (THANK GOODNESS!!!) But during the course of 4 hours, I had the most intense adrenaline run I think I've ever had. Because, when it was all done, my brain was acting like I had taken 3 Lortab, when I hadn't taken anything.
THURSDAY the 23rd
Take a quick nap then off and running. Jared had physical therapy at 11AM then I had to go back to work to pick up somethings I had forgotten. Went up to campus to take care of some stuff, then a quick trip into Wal-Mart to pick up some necessities. We were home by about 2PM. Another quick nap before getting up to continue to pursuit of studying for an exam and packing to go to SLC. Pizza Hut was my salvation for dinner. Between left over pizza and all the cold cereal I got at Wal-Mart, I knew that my little people could survive while I was gone.

FRIDAY the 24th
(This is where I know you are going to get jealous!!!)After getting ready, serving breakfast and getting Taylor on the bus, I went up to campus to take my exam, and I spent almost an hour and a half on it. I felt like I had done really well but my score showed otherwise. (Oh well.) I ran home and got Dylan and loaded up and left. We stopped by my mom's to wish her a Happy Birthday (HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!!!)then got on the road to Salt Lake City. We (I) sped a lot to make it to Primary Children's Medical Center by our appointed time of 2:30PM.(We were only 10 minutes late.) We went to Clinic B (The Neurology Clinic) and spent the next hour and a half telling Dylan's life history and cleaning a spot on his head, pasting the electrode, placing it on his head, putting gauze over the top of that, wherein they would superglue (no joke)the gauze into his hair, then dry it in there with oxygen from oxygen tubing. Yeah, we did that 23 times for the 23 electrodes on his head. We then wrapped his whole head in gauze then tape on top of that. We marched to the RTU (Rapid Treatment Unit) Rm # 103 where Dylan spent the next 23 hours confined to the bed (other than quick bathroom breaks) for his long term EEG. Now I would imagine that it would be difficult to keep any energetic 6 year old to stay in a bed, calm and happy for 23 hours. Dylan of course, no exception.

SATURDAY the 25th
He had a headache all of Saturday which did not help the happy part. I think that as a whole, he really did do well. However, he did have his moments of tantrums and impatience. The helicopters were loud and he doesn't care much for Primary Children's in the first place. I remember looking at the clock in the van as we got back onto I-15. It was 3:30PM. We (I) decided to stop in Layton to take a brake, which as a whole was probably not a good idea. Dylan still had a headache and I was trying not to feel to overwhelmed by the enormity of the week I had just gone thru and what I knew was waiting for me at home. I got Dylan a kids meal at Carl's Jr. and I stopped by Cafe Rio to stock up on the pleasure that we do not have here in Idaho. I filled up the van at 2.83/gal. and got back on I-15 for the drive home. My mom had called me and told me to fill up again in Rigby which I gratefully did for 2.68/gal.
We pulled into the driveway just after 9:30PM. We walked in and Dylan began to whine about putting his pajamas on. STILL having his headache and being so tired, that whine was to be expected. Jeff had some snide comment to Dylan and then he was gone to bed. I put Dylan in bed and he was asleep two minutes later. I unpacked the van, cleaned it up the best I could, unpacked the suitcase, did the dishes, did some laundry, burned the garbage, cleaned up the kitchen, (I don't remember hearing about a tornado being here, but I guess I was wrong.)before my nose started bleeding. Just when I started to think about going to the ER for my nose, it FINALLY stopped. Then I went to bed....at 1AM.


SUNDAY the 26
Woke up and guess what !?! Bloody nose, not for nearly as long though. Up and did pancakes and waffles for breakfast. Worked on getting super glue out of Dylan's hair. Combed thru his hair with fingernail polish remover(acetone) for half and hour then washed his hair three times. Kids thru the bathtub. Hurry and print off my primary lesson from the Internet, skimmed thru quickly. Get my self ready, kids ready and out the door. 15 minutes late for church. Primary program for sacrament meeting, left Jared with my mom and sat with the kids in my primary class. They really did do a good job. On to primary, sharing time then my turn to teach the lesson. Home. PB&J and grilled cheese for lunch, then took a quick nap. (Everything is a quick nap!!!) Got up and took the kids to Grandma's house, checked on her chickens and Grandpa took them on a 4-wheeler ride. Home kids in P.J's and rush them off to bed. Great week, huh!?!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that at some point during the last 10 days, someone (other than me)has been sick. Flu-like sick with it coming from all over the place. In fact while I was doing this post, I had to stop and go clean up after Taylor. She threw-up in her sleep. It was the smell that led me to the discovery.
We will know the result to Dylans EEG within the next week or two. And if its inconclusive we would be invited back to do that again (do I dare say it) for eight days.(I can't type what my response was to that!!!)

I know, I know your jealous. I can imagine now how you all are lining up to walk a day in my shoes. I'm sorry, its only me who gets to do this. I'm sure you all will get your own turn.

And P.S. I do not mean this post as a contest (Amber & Fay) for who has the harder life. If I were to have gone thru a week like this a year ago, I probably wouldn't feel like it was so bad....perhaps I'm just feeling a little worn down. If the truth be told, I need to remember to

BEE HAPPY!!!

11 comments:

Melody said...

That is quite a week! Maybe next week will be quieter (you know, because kids are always subdued and docile as Halloween approaches...)Let me know the EEG results.
And hang in there!

The Smaellies said...

whoa! i dont know how you do it! i know, it is probably because you love your family, and honestly, you probably dont have a choice... you are a strong women and i know you will get through this!

Amber said...

I'm at a loss for words.

Please tell me for Halloween you're going to stop hiding your Super-Identity and finally come out as Wonder Woman!

Monica said...

man, just reading that is intense. I am proud of you for hangin in there, and for +havin++g t+hree +kids, +++++++++++++++++++++++just5 tw+o is+ crazy+ for +me+. e+than +is pre+ssi+ng the+ ++ b+ut+ton+ +pl+ease+ +deci+f+er the best you can@

Steph said...

Thanks for putting the temple picture with the rainbow first with this post. It helps us all know that with weeks like that, It IS all worth it!!

Tiffany said...

I'm sorry, but I am not jealous!! =) Sorry you had such a rough week. If I had known you were at primary's I would have told Codey to go look for you and at least give you some non medical conversation. He was there Friday night. I hope all turns out ok with the EEG and you really don't have to go back for 8 more days. You are welcome to stay here if you would like if it comes to it. Hope your next week is better and more relaxing. =)

amanda said...

girl you make me laugh. not saying that this blog made me laugh but you -yourself make me smile. you have a great spirit about you and i'm glad i get to hang around you. life is suppose to be a challenge sometimes. at lease i try to tell myself that.

Lexi said...

Melissa, what a week! I am so sorry. I had no idea what your life has been up to. I feel like a jerk for now knowing more of what has been going on. I hope things are going ok for you. Sounds like they are very challenging at the moment!! Please let me know if there is anything I can ever do to help! Good luck this week!
Love, Lexi

Jackie said...

I stumbled upon your blog and your kids are cute. By the way, I taught Special Ed for 3 years and if ANY teacher said she had not read the IEP three months into the school year, I would seriously recommend pursuing action. The IEP is a legal document, and if the teachers aren't abiding by it, they are literally breaking the law. School districts were sued successfully for much less where I worked!

Tara said...

Oh dear, sweet Melissa. I definitely don't envy you. I do hope things start going better for you and your family!

Idaho Beagleys said...

I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up. My comment is DON'T GIVE UP GIRL! Karen