Monday, March 30, 2009

"It's so hard to be a child!!!"


Today just after Taylor came home from school, she had some 5 year old stress. Her purple balloon (that she got from a birthday party on Sat.) was not acting the way she thought it should. The result? To throw herself down on the floor (cause that ALWAYS helps) and begin to cry..."It's so hard to be a child!!!"

I don't know that I remember feeling that way when I was younger. In fact as I've gotten older, I've often wished that I could go back to simpler times.....Times when I wasn't the one in charge of three meals a day or having something close to clean for all to wear everyday...... wishing that the dishes would do themselves or that the kids would wash themselves as well. Was I thankful for all the times my mom would cradle me in her arms and kiss the 'owies' better, or have dad come reassure me that there were in fact no monsters in my bedroom? I could always trust that my parents would have me practice the piano no matter how much I tried not to, and that 'someday you'll thank me for this...' I'll never forget how my dad tried to teach me that contrary to the then current belief, 'clubs' were not really that popular, and that my mom was right... I did need to learn how to clean the bathroom to a satisfactory level.

Wouldn't that be great, if the greatest distress in life were over the purple balloon!?! Oh to be like a child.

3 comments:

meyersbd said...

Oh how I agree!! It's days like today when I wish my biggest problem was a purple balloon. I think now I feel like the purple balloon. I wish I could just lay down on the job. I pulled a muscle in my back while I was sleeping!! Who does that?

Tiffany said...

I wish!! Children do have it much harder than we do, don't they?! LOL
you put it so well Mel!

Melody said...

It's so true. The last time I watched Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day I totally cried. Not because of PMSing or anything, but because I was mourning my childhood being all gone (I should mention this was about 15 years ago...had I but known).
I had a little old lady come up to me at K-mart to admire Jana, and she made some comment about how it all goes by too quickly. She must have heard my internal snort, because she added that she had 9 kids and would gladly do it all over again. It made me think- someday I'll miss mommyhood like I miss childhood? Really?