Thursday, January 8, 2009

Autism Spectrum Disorder:Frequently Asked Questions

Dylan - About 17 months old...

1.What is Autism Spectrum Disorder - ASD?
Different people with autism can have very different symptoms. One person may have mild symptoms, while another may have serious symptoms. But they both have an autism spectrum disorder. Currently, the autism spectrum disorder category includes:
Autistic disorder (also called “classic” autism)
Asperger Syndrome
Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS)(or atypical autism)
In some cases, health care providers use a broader term, pervasive developmental disorder, to describe autism. This category includes the autism spectrum disorders above, plus Childhood Disintegrative Disorder and Rett Syndrome.
2. What is Dylan's diagnosis?
Dylan's diagnosis is PDD-NOS. It seems as though the psychologist seemed hesitant to give him the diagnosis of 'Classic' Autism, due to his history with brain surgeries, although it is very possible that in the future, a diagnosis of 'Classic' Autism will come.

3. How does this change things in general?
It doesn't change very much. We were not surprised, in fact we were expecting this. To us, he is still Dylan. Our seven year old who is very loving, outgoing, who loves to be the center of attention. The one that teaches us to 'make your heart happy', who loves the outdoors as much as anyone I know. In his evaluation, the recommendations came strongly to seek developmentally therapy for him. So, that is our next step, to find a place and a great team with whom he can receive such services.

4. Why the blog on it?.....
A)To educate others. I want you to know that I'm not afraid of talking about it, I don't see this as being taboo. Also I see this as a lesson to be careful on judging. He looks just like any other 7/8 year old boy. But sometimes when we go out in public, that is NOT the case, and I know that others wonder why I can't or won't discipline my kiddo.
B)To inform you. I know that it seems like I let my motor-mouth, motor a little too much, and as a result, I drag you all into the soap-opera of my life. I think that perhaps I will take the same approach on this that I did with his surgeries/MRI's....I will try not to talk about it unless you ask me first. That way I won't be thrusting any unwanted information into your face.
C)I need your help and your input. On one hand, I want Dylan to be treated like any other kid. I want him to have the same chances for things as anyone else. That being said, Dylan is certainly not like any other kid. And I want him to have all the extra help and benefit that can be given to him. I guess I'm a little torn that way.

5. Websites that I've found to be helpful...

5 comments:

Melody said...

I'm glad there is an official diagnosis at least- it's easier to face anything when you can put a name to it, I think. And I hope you know my asking how things are going is a standing question. I always want to know how you and your little family are doing! And I hope you know there are lots of people who want to help any way we can! Ribbit, ribbit, ribbit, ribbit, ribbit, ribbit, ribbit!!!
:)

jaci said...

i'm so glad you comented on my blog-cause now i found you...that picture of your three kids in your heading is to die for, it seriously makes me tear up-so sweet!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the information. A few of my sisters are still trying to get a diagnosis on their children. One wouldn't exept it at first and I think it's causing more work in the long run. It's nice to know that it's not a bad or scary thing...It just means that the parents just have to do things differently.

*~McGarys~* said...

I loved have dillon in my class last year. His a great kid:)

Anonymous said...

cheap viagra walmart viagra australia problems with viagra effect of viagra on women generic viagra cheap viagra canada legal viagra viagra prices buy cheap viagra online uk uk viagra sales viagra australia cialis levia and viagra viagra pharmacy viagra alternative