I have had a hard time as of late meshing and conversing with some of the other mothers of the same age of kids in the ward, neighborhood, community etc. because I feel so different from them. I work, I have kids that are classic kids and I'm not like everyone else. Upon appearance and looking at them, watching them, and listening to them, they make it sound like they have it all together. "This kid is doing so and so and is great, and this kid is doing so and so and is great." Now don't get me wrong, I too am a believer that everyone needs optimism in life but doesn't reality ever bite these people too? They just seem too perfect. My kids are not perfect, I think everyone knows that. Dylan and his physical hangups and issues that he still deals with today leaves me feeling so different than the other moms I see. Taylor also suffers consequences of Dylan's behavior and so many times my heart goes out to her. (I hope she is never too scarred by our family.) Jared's personality is still developing, but he absolutely loves to run up onto the stand at church in the middle of sacrament meeting, or a whole host of other things that I know others look at us and go, "Ugh, why can't you people get it together!?!" In summary: I am flawed and different. So many others around me are great moms and have perfect standing in the community. Not me.
Anyway....So I was sitting in one of the most beautiful rooms on this earth, the Celestial Room at the nearby Rexburg Temple. I had been taught and was pondering upon many things, looking at the chandeliers, reading the scriptures when my eyes were caught upon the flowers in the room. They of course were so beautiful. The flowers, the tall ferns the garland of ivy leaves. They were 'perfect'. (Then the AWHA moment.) Then the impression came to me that they were fake. Of course they were perfect, because they weren't real. I remember a fireside done by artist Leon Parson, who talked about how in nature, real things are flawed. Leaves or petals are not symmetrical. Apples and tomato's are not truly circular. You only see the truly perfect in silk, in something being fake.
Well ladies and gentlemen. There is my epiphany. I am very real. I am not silk, I am not fake. I am very flawed and with that Heavenly Father can work with me. And in that I can know him. If I were to be silk there would be no need for him to make me better and in turn, no opportunity to know him. Thank heavens for flaws.
3 comments:
I love it Mel. I too feel that way sometimes. But there are so many of us "single" moms (our husbands are constantly gone)in the ward that we all rely on each other. I think I would get frustrated in your situation too that everyone around you thinks that life is all honky dorey! It's not and they may be putting on a fake exterior to cover it up. They maybe deny that they aren't perfect. You just don't deny it. Good for you! I'm not silk either!
Hi! I'm glad to have found you guys again. I didn't even know you had another baby, and he's two, crazy. I've felt the same way (outsider) many times in my life. But learning that different is just fine and maybe even better is a hard lesson to get sunk in but I hope you realize that you are amazing and you're not as much of an outsider as you feel.
I am so glad you blogged this. It really is worth remembering. Although I have my own personal competitor, remember this really isn't suppose to be a competition. We knew it wouldn't be easy but I know we didn't realize it would be SO hard. You belong to my club. You always have and always will. I don't fit in anywhere either so you can be out of it with me. Love you so much.
Post a Comment